1. Give thanks to God, for he is good;
His mercy's ever sure.
2. Let Israel's tribes now say, his grace
Forever shall endure.
3. His clemency forever lasts,
Let Aaron's house now say.
4. Let them that fear the Lord declare
His mercy'11 ne'er decay.
5. In my distress I called on God,
Whose answer set me free.
6. The Lord's with me, and I'll not fear
What man can do to me.
7. The Lord himself doth take my part,
With those my cause espouse;
And I shall see a just reward
O'ertake my envious foes.
8. 'Tis better far to trust in God,
Than upon man rely.
9. 'Tis safer trusting in the Lord,
Than princes, e'er so high.
10. All nations compass me about:
11. Yea oft beset me round;
But in Jehovah's name, and help,
I smote them to the ground.
12. Like swarms of bees, they buzzed about;
And raged, like crackling fire
Of thorns; but aided by my God,
They're quenched, and soon expire.
13. They pressed me hard, to cause my fall;
But God did succor bring.
14. From God, my strength, and safety, flows;
And I'll his praises sing.
15. The just man's tent is filled with joy
And safe in God's right hand.
16. The Lord's right hand on high is raised.
And victory doth command.
17. I shall not die, but live to praise,
God's wonders, with my breath.
18. The Lord hath sorely chastened me!
But gave me not to death.
19. Open the gates of righteousness,
And I will enter in;
That I may sing Jehovah's praise
Who hath my Savior been.
20. This fate's the Lord's; whither the just
Shall enter, on set days.
21. Since thou hast heard, and set me safe,
I'll give to thee the praise.
22. That stone which builders did reject,
Chief cornerstone now lies.
23. This work is from the Lord alone;
'Tis wondrous in our eyes.
24 This is the day the Lord hath made;
We'll it with joy attend.
25. Save now, O Lord, I thee beseech
Prosperity now send.
26. Hosannah! blessed is he that comes,
In great Jehovah's name;
A blessing, from God's holy house,
To you, we loud proclaim.
27. God is Jehovah; who to us,
Light graciously affords;
Bind to the sacred altar's horns,
The sacrifice with cords.
28. Thou art my God, and I'll thee praise;
My God, I'll spread thy fame.
29. O bless the Lord, for he is good;
His mercy's still the same.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752
|Instances (1)||First Line||Text Title||Refrain First Line||Authors||Composers||Meter||Scripture||Tune Title||Tune Key||Incipit||Languages||Publication Date|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #P.CXVIII||Give Thanks to God, for he is good||Psalm 118||English||1752|