1. I cried aloud, unto the Lord,
And fervently I prayed.
2. To him I poured out my complaint;
My griefs before him laid.
3. When sorrows overwhelmed my soul,
Then thou my path didst know:
They laid their private snares for me,
Wherever I should go.
4. On my right hand I looked, and saw,
That not one friend was there;
All refuge failed, e'en flight was fled,
None for my soul did care.
5. To thee, O Lord, I cried, and said,
"Thou art my hope alone;
My portion, while on earth I live,
And when from hence I'm gone."
6. I, to the last extremes, am brought,
O hear my earnest cry;
Me from my persecutors save,
Who stronger are than I.
7. From this dark prison bring my soul,
That I thy name may praise;
The just shall me surround, for thou
Shalt me reward with grace.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752
|Instances (1)||First Line||Text Title||Refrain First Line||Authors||Composers||Meter||Scripture||Tune Title||Tune Key||Incipit||Languages||Publication Date|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #P.CXLII||I Cry'd aloud, unto the Lord||Psalm 142||English||1752|