See, see in the east a new glory ascendsTune: SAMANTHRA
Published in 3 hymnals
1. See! see in the east a new glory ascends,
And pours its effulgence afar;
It glides on sublime, and earth's uttermost ends
Acknowledge Immanuel's star.
2. O'er the 'Jew trodden down,' as the prophets foretold,
It travels with lustre serene;
While heathens transform'd, as intent they behold,
Are singing, 'The star we have seen.'
3. Hark! from yonder bold hills how the Syrians shout,
While Comoron echoes the lay;
The German and Dane spread the tidings about,
And jubilees welcome the day.
4. From the martyr'd Abdallah see Sabet retire,
Arabian darkness he fears!
Love and zeal for a Saviour his bosom inspire,
And the christian translator appears.
5. And still, see the day-star its journey pursue,
Even Brahmans pronounce it divine;
Jehovah incarnate shall multitudes view,
And scatter their gifts at his shrine.
6. Ye Herods, in vain do you menace and rage,
And vain is hell's horrible roar;
Time, meeting with Prophecy, opens her page,
And bids all the nations adore.
7. Roll on, blessed Star, fill the world with thy light,
The saints are expecting thy rays;
Bid the latter-day morning ascend in its might,
And shine on our incense of praise.
Source: The Cluster of Spiritual Songs, Divine Hymns and Sacred Poems: being chiefly a collection (3rd ed. rev.) #CLXIII
|First Line:||See, see in the east a new glory ascends|