A Scripture Spreadsheet should be provided as part of the hymnal installation process. It should consist of the following columns, in any order:
- Book, the book of the Bible or Apocryphal book
- Start Chapter
- Start verse
- End Chapter
- End verse
- Hymn number
- If there is only one chapter or only one verse, leave the other fields blank.
- If the passage skips verses, still enter the verse where it starts and the verse where it ends.
- If there is more than one hymn for the same chapter and verse, enter each hymn number on a separate row, repeating the chapter and verse numbers.
- Check the back of the hymnal to see if there is an index of Scripture references and use these to fill in the spreadsheet. If the hymnal doesn't have this index, use the scripture references noted with the hymn for this spreadsheet.
- As with all spreadsheets, the first row will be treated as a header row and ignored.
Below is what part of a Scripture Spreadsheet could look like. A complete example can also be downloaded here (zip file).
|Book||Start Chapter||Start verse||End Chapter||End verse||Hymn number|