A Topic Spreadsheet should be provided as part of the hymnal installation process. It should consist of the following columns, in any order:
- Main topic
- Sub topic
- Hymn number
- A hymn can have many topics applied to it.
- Enter Main topic and Sub topic if there is a Sub topic; if not, leave the Sub topic column blank.
- Use the headings as indicated on the page as well as those listed in the Topic index in the back of the hymnal, if there is one.
- If the hymnal includes other indexes that might be useful, such as an index of hymns that can be used as Canons, Echo hymns, Speech rhythms, etc, these can also go in the Topic spreadsheet.
- As with all spreadsheets, the first row will be treated as a header row and ignored.
Below is what part of a Topic Spreadsheet could look like. A complete example can also be downloaded here (zip file).
|Main topic||Sub topic||Hymn number|
|God the Father||Praise to God||16|