God of all power, and truth, and graceAuthor: Charles Wesley
Published in 59 hymnals
Printable scores: PDF, MusicXMLAudio files: MIDI, Recording
1. God of all power, and truth, and grace,
Which shall from age to age endure,
Whose Word, when Heaven and earth shall pass,
Remains and stands for ever sure;
2. That I Thy mercy may proclaim,
That all mankind Thy truth may see,
Hallow Thy great and glorious name,
And perfect holiness in me.
3. Thy sanctifying Spirit pour,
To quench my thirst, and make me clean;
Now, Father, let the gracious shower
Descend, and make me pure from sin.
4. Purge me from every sinful blot;
My idols all be cast aside;
Cleanse me from every sinful thought,
From all the filth of self and pride.
5. Give me a new, a perfect heart,
From doubt, and fear, and sorrow free;
The mind which was in Christ impart,
And let my spirit cleave to Thee.
6. O take this heart of stone away!
Thy sway it doth not, cannot own;
In me no longer let it stay,
O take away this heart of stone!
7. O that I now, from sin released,
Thy Word may to the utmost prove,
Enter into the promised rest,
The Canaan of Thy perfect love!
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #1691
|First Line:||God of all power, and truth, and grace|
God of all power, and truth, and grace. C. Wesley. [Holiness desired.] Published in Hymns & Sacred Poems, 1742, in 28 stanzas of 4 lines, based on Ezekiel xxxvi. 13, &c, and headed, "Pleading the Promise of Sanctification" (Poetical Works, 1868-72, vol. ii. p. 319). It was also appended to J. Wesley's Sermon No. 40, and to J. Fletcher's Last Check to Antinomianism. It deals with the doctrine of Sanctification from the Methodist point of view. From the 1742 text the following centos have come into common use:—
1. God of all power, and truth, and grace. In the Wesleyan Hymn Book, 1780, No. 330, and later editions, is composed of stanzas i., iii., vi.-ix. and xiv. This was given in Hall's Mitre Hymn Book, 1836, No. 211, in an abbreviated form, as "0 Thou, Whose mercy, truth, and love." This arrangement was by E. Osier, and is a distinct hymn from Osier's "0 God, Whose mercy, truth, and love," which appeared in his Church and King, March, 1837, although in the latter he has borrowed a line or two from the former. [HALL Manuscript]
2. Father, supply my every need. In the Wesleyan Hymn Book, 1780, No. 380, Pt. ii. is composed of stanzas xix.-xxii. It is also in other collections.
3. Holy, and true, and righteous Lord. In the Wesleyan Hymn Book, 1780, No. 381 is composed of stanzas xxiii., xxvi.-xxviii. This is also in other collections.
All of these centos are in common use in Great Britain and America.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
|Instances (1 - 7 of 7)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|Common Praise: A new edition of Hymns Ancient and Modern #446||God of all power, and truth, and grace||God of all power, and truth, and grace||OMBERSLEY||Charles Wesley 1707-1788||LM||2 Corinthians 7:5; Colossians 3:11; Ezekiel 11:19; Ezekiel 36:25-26; Hebrews 4:1; Isaiah 40:8; Isaiah 40:17; Luke 11:2; Matthew 6:9; Matthew 24:35||2000|
|Hymns and Psalms: a Methodist and ecumenical hymn book #726||God of all power, and truth and grace||God of all power, and truth and grace||OMBERSLEY||Charles Wesley||1983|
|Singing the Faith #498a||God of all power, and truth, and grace||God of all power, and truth, and grace||OMBERSLEY||Charles Wesley, 1707-1788||LM||1 Peter 5:10; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Hebrews 4:1; Isaiah 4:4; Isaiah 38:3; Isaiah 40:8; Isaiah 40:17; Matthew 24:35; Philippians 2:5; Psalm 78:9||2011||Growth in Grace and Holiness ||
|Singing the Faith #498b||God of all power, and truth, and grace||God of all power, and truth, and grace||ANTWERP||Charles Wesley, 1707-1788||LM||1 Peter 5:10; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Hebrews 4:1; Isaiah 4:4; Isaiah 38:3; Isaiah 40:8; Isaiah 40:17; Matthew 24:35; Philippians 2:5; Psalm 78:9||2011||Growth in Grace and Holiness ||
|Small Church Music #612||Ombersley||God of all power, and truth, and grace||OMBERSLEY||Charles Wesley||126.96.36.199|
|The Cyber Hymnal #1691||God of All Power and Truth and Grace||God of all power, and truth, and grace||VON HIMMEL HOCH||Charles Wesley||LM||<cite>Hymns and Sacred Poems</cite>, 1742|
|Together in Song: Australian hymn book II #567||God of all power, and truth, and grace||God of all power, and truth, and grace||OMBERSLEY||Charles Wesley, 1707-88||88.88||1 Peter 1:22-25; 2 Timothy 4:16-18; Colossians 1:21-29; Ephesians 6:18-20; Ezekiel 36:23-30; Hebrews 4:1-11; Isaiah 40:1-9; Psalm 23:5-6; Romans 15:18-21; Romans 16:25-27; Titus 2:11-14||1999||Evangelism | ; Faithfulness of God | ; Fear | ; Forgiveness | ; Heaven | ; Holiness | ; New Life in Christ | ; Saints Days and Holy Days | Evangelists; Worship | The Word|