From Hymnary Wiki
The text source of a hymn is the major work, hymnal, or tradition (e.g. "African-American Spiritual", "French carol") of the hymn's text, if the text is taken from one.
- Do not enter scripture references in this field. They should be entered in the Scripture reference field instead.
- Cite the work as it is listed in the hymnal.
- Use italics if the hymnal uses them.
- Include the date the work was published, if given. Do not put the date of publication in the text date field because the publication date does not reflect when the hymn itself was written.
- If there is an "alt." but no text date, put the "alt." after the date the work was published.
- Enter the source first followed by "st. #", "from", "based on", etc.